Sunday, March 16, 2008

I Was Drugged

Although this is very personal, I feel like sharing this in hopes it may cause people I know to be more careful at parties, bars, and clubs so that this sort of thing doesn't happen to you. Last night a few friends of mine went out to a club called Weekend. While at the club, my friend and I were slipped something in our drink, possibly by the bartender (the only drink I remember us both having were shots of whiskey that we couldn't pay for because my friend had left her wallet at home- the bartenders said "it's okay, as long as you have a drink with us"). My friend had already had a good amount to drink so it acted on her very fast. She started acting strangely- becoming hyper talkative (esp. to strangers), flirty, and falling down. I too, fell down a lot and was more hyper than usual, but in the end was able to overcome most of the effects of the drug due to the concern for my friend and not having had as much to drink. At one point she passed out and wouldn't open her eyes. We had to force water down her throat, get her heart rate up, and call an ambulance. We waited in the emergency room all night and most of the morning. At around noon she woke up and was able to walk home with us. She doesn't remember much of what happened, but we know that she was not raped as we were very attentive to her once we realized something was up. The drug I believe we were slipped is called Rohypnol. It is a legal sleep aid here in Europe. It is illegal in the states, but that does not stop people from bringing it in illegaly. This drug can cause memory loss, loss of muscle control, and possibly death. I'm very glad that we both survived this experience relatively unharmed and that we had friends there with us to take care of us. Needless to say, I will not be drinking nor clubbing for some time, and the next time I do I will act a good deal smarter.

No comments:

Post a Comment