Friday, March 21, 2008

Got My Visa!

It was 7 AM (opening time) and the Ausländerbehörde (Visa Office) was crowded in all three waiting rooms. Turkish babies were crying. British expats were crying. And the machines that gently beep to let you know a new number is coming up kept breaking down. After only a couple hours of waiting, Carlos came out with a big smile on his face and a shiny new visa in his passport. Unable to resist the temptation to pry, I asked him what had gone on in there, if it had been violent, if they had made him give blood, urine, semen? He told me they didn't even ask him any questions, really, just handed the thing over. I, however, had to wait 6 hours only to be told by some German lady who didn't speak English that I needed some document of some kind and would have to come back in a few weeks after I'd obtained whatever it was. Not being the kind of person to give up my time that easily, I decided to take a new number, wait another hour, and try my luck talking to someone else. After tossing around some documents regarding my school enrollment, funds, and health insurance, I was given a visa for one year. I'm very happy to be done with this. I wouldn't wish the Ausländerbehörde upon even my worst enemies.

No comments:

Post a Comment